1896 Riker Electric
Pictures of the 1896 Riker Electric - The Henry Ford Museum
1896 Riker Electric - The Henry Ford Museum
The Riker two-passenger tricycle was built and used by Andrew L. Riker at Stamford, Connecticut, from 1896 to 1898. Its tubular steel frame, wire wheels, and pneumatic tires reflect the standard construction for bicycles of that period. It is powered by a series of lead-sulfuric acid batteries located under the seat and is driven by a Riker electric motor mounted at the rear. Drivetrain is by direct reduction gearing in an 8-to-1 ratio to the single rear wheel.
This is the first vehicle of its type to be manufactured in the United States at a time when electric, steam,and gasoline-powered automobiles were all in the experimental stage. Also credited to Mr. Riker in the same year, 1896, is an electric phaeton that became the first electric automobile ever to win a prize on a racetrack in the U.S. on September 22, 1896 at the Narragansett State Fairgrounds at Providence, Rhode Island.
- Range: 25 miles
- Motor: 3/4 kw, 40 volt
- Drive: Direct gearing
- Speeds: 3 forward, 2 reverse
- Wheelbase: 48 inches